Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1973 04 04 - RDNZL 4.20 (progrockfan)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills -> Archived Sample Threads
DL-List
Complete: [ 123 ]
progrockfan
Contributor
uk.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-04 17:41   [Quote] 
RDNZL
Recorded 4 Apr. 1973, Whitney Studios Glendale CA
(The title of the flac itself shows the date 1972 and should be corrected for your collection— see discussion below)
A 3.49 edit of this complete track was officially released on The Lost Episodes (track 25)

Here is the raw studio take of RDNZL, presented without the brass overdubs added to the opening chorus of the Lost Episodes version and featuring a previously unheard FZ guitar solo, short but blistering hot.

Enjoy!— progrockfan

Lineage: Master Clone (silver CD) > EAC v0.95 beta 4 > wav > Cool Edit Pro 2.1 > speed adjust -80cts (thank you flambay!) > FLAC Frontend 1.7.1 > FLAC Level 8 > your ears

Last edited by progrockfan on 2007-03-05 19:25; edited 2 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
georgeforman
ethiopia.gif
Post 2007-03-05 01:38   [Quote] 
Thanks progrockfan
for all the bits and pieces
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 01:57   [Quote] 
Only had this one as an MP3. This is a great solo by FZ. Thanks! tunes

Kind regards,
Overnitefreak
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2007-03-05 09:38   [Quote] 
Thanks for this. The year is wrong, though. This was recorded on April 4 1973.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 13:25   [Quote] 
Quote:

So during the tour they stopped and went to the studio? They did have some down time, but 3 days laters in AZ playing. And reference? Always nice to point to reference.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yojimbo
Contributor
sweden.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 13:50   [Quote] 
Quote:
So during the tour they stopped and went to the studio? They did have some down time, but 3 days laters in AZ playing. And reference? Always nice to point to reference.

The session sheets from the Over-nite Sensation sessions confirm this. Inca Roads and Fifty-Fifty were recorded on Apr 3, RDNZL and Camarillo Brillo on Apr 4. There were also mid-tour sessions on Mar 19-20.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 13:52   [Quote] 
Thanks for the info!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 13:55   [Quote] 
Yojimbo wrote:
The session sheets from the Over-nite Sensation sessions confirm this. Inca Roads and Fifty-Fifty were recorded on Apr 3, RDNZL and Camarillo Brillo on Apr 4. There were also mid-tour sessions on Mar 19-20.

Wow! Didn't know that!
I'm just curious... where I can find a picture of the session sheet? It isn't on my Ryko CD!

prost

Yojimbo
Contributor
sweden.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 14:02   [Quote] 
Quote:
I'm just curious... where I can find a picture of the session sheet? It isn't on my Ryko CD!

You can't, but you can find much info from session sheets in the Son Of Revised edition of Greg Russo's book Cosmik Debris.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2007-03-05 14:17   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
Quote:

That's right. They were a very hardworking band. And straight after the spring tour finished they were back in the studio again before going off to Australia. I think the information originally comes from Greg Russo, who analysed all the musicians' union forms for California in that period, but for us regular folks we can just check these things here:

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/chronology/1973-1975.html

Everyone should read Roman's site! It's the most complete Zappa resource around.

EDIT: Seems like this thread moved on a bit while I was composing my reply. (I got distracted Smile )
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 15:32   [Quote] 
Quote:
Everyone should read Roman's site! It's the most complete Zappa resource around.

One of my problems is Frank is just one of a hundred artists I'm interested in, so these little details are not of much interest to me, and i figure i can just ask, like I did if i want to see something specific. Trying to remember details of so many artists is just impossible. I did have that site, book marked though!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
progrockfan
Contributor
uk.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 16:37   [Quote] 
Quote:

Quote:
The session sheets from the Over-nite Sensation sessions confirm this. Inca Roads and Fifty-Fifty were recorded on Apr 3, RDNZL and Camarillo Brillo on Apr 4.

Silly me for relying on the Lost Episodes booklet! FZ was notorious for getting stuff like this wrong. I use Roman's site all the time... but this one slipped by me (and by the Samples forum).

Thanks for the catch, doublebassy and yojimbo! The post title and text have been changed to reflect your correction-- but I don't dare rename the file itself while it's being actively downloaded. I'll rely on the downloaders to take care of that. Smile

flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2007-03-05 16:47   [Quote] 
I'm afraid this seed will be of a temporary nature too.
This track has bad speed fluctuations impossible to tell by just checking the sample of this track seeded earlier.
You will notice that this track is getting considerably slower along the way, about 40cts.

So, in a speed corrected re-seed I'm sure we will get the file named correctly as well ... Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-03-05 16:59   [Quote] 
flambay wrote:
I'm afraid this seed will be of a temporary nature too.
This track has bad speed fluctuations impossible to tell by just checking the sample of this track seeded earlier.
You will notice that this track is getting considerably slower along the way, about 40cts.

So, in a speed corrected re-seed I'm sure we will get the file named correctly as well ... Wink

So please move topic to sample section... Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2007-03-05 17:02   [Quote] 
amnesiavivace wrote:
So please move topic to sample section... Smile

Consider this done ... Wink

speed corrected re-seed: http://zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8452

Last edited by flambay on 2007-03-08 07:38; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills -> Archived Sample Threads All times are GMT

Jump to: